Weekend Fam Goals: Harvesting As A Family


Never did I ever imagine loving gardening as much as I do now. I never thought of myself as THAT girl when I was younger. I was always a city girl even throughout all my summer visits to my parent’s homeland of Puerto Rico, a lush and beautiful island with an abundance of agricultural land. 


I remember my strong dislike of “country” living when I stayed with my mom in Arecibo, a very rural area of Puerto Rico where she lived at the time. The gentleman that she was with lived and operated a decent size piece of farmland with chicken, goats and pigs. My sister and I even showered outdoors in a makeshift shower stall and outhouse. I hated it. 



But as luck— or destiny would have it, I ended up marrying a country boy from rural Indiana that completely changed my view on not only gardening but the beauty of sowing seeds and tending to land that gives back.

When we became parents and moved into our forever home, my husband was adamant about cultivating a garden as a family. I started to really understand the value in the lessons that growing a garden teaches us.



The responsibility in tending to land and watching it grow from something very small to a beautiful form of nourishment. I love how it teaches our kids (and me!) patience and diligence in creating our own little space of farmland that provides for our family. 



And as you can imagine, the best part of growing a garden is harvesting all your hard work of many months! My kids love getting in there and gathering their very own bounty of goodness. Not to mention, how much easier it is to get them to eat all their veggies at dinnertime! 

So, what will your family plant in your garden? 


Share:

1 comment :

  1. All of those amazing veggies!’�� Such a great summer activity for the kids!

    ReplyDelete

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes